HALLOWEEN FONIO CANDY BAR
The Candy Bar... All Grown Up
~ Recipe courtesy of our friends at Yolélé.By Jason Chan
This recipe is a homage to a classic American treat. Meet the Fonio Candy Bar, inspired by the titans of Halloween candy (can you guess which ones?). The caramel is made with Medjool dates, which provide a naturally rich sweetness and amazing texture. The gluten-free Fonio shortbread is soft and buttery, complemented by salty, crunchy peanuts. Finally, the bars are dipped in decadent dark chocolate, creating a truly delectable treat.
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup pitted + halved medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- Pinch of salt (if using unsalted peanut butter)
- ½ cup roasted, salted peanuts
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or another oil with neutral flavor, like peanut or canola)
- ¼ cup uncooked Yolélé Fonio
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
For the Date Caramel
- Bring 1 ½ cups water to a boil. Remove the pot from heat and add dates to the water. Let sit 15 minutes, and use a slotted spoon to remove dates. Reserve the date water!
- Process dates, peanut butter, salt and 2 tablespoons of the reserved date water in a food processor or blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Cook fonio according to directions on package, using reserved date water instead of water, and let cool on a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar and mix well with a large wooden spoon until the mixture turns a uniform pale yellow, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the gluten-free flour and tapioca flours to the butter/sugar mixture and fully incorporate until it becomes dough-like. Add the cooked fonio to the dough and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Press the dough into a 8 x 8 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven and allow to fully cool.
- Spread date caramel on top of shortbread base with a spatula in a thin, even layer, about ½ inch thick. Evenly press peanuts on top.
- Cover and freeze for at least 3 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and cut into 1 inch by 4 inch bars.
- Melt the chocolate: place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 25 second increments, removing each time to stir. Continue to microwave in 25 second increments until chips are melted, approximately 1 minute. Once melted, slowly stir in oil.
- Using a fork, gently submerge the candy bar in the chocolate. Scoop underneath the candy bar and remove it from the chocolate.
- Move the fork in an up and down motion to allow some chocolate to drip off. Gently scrape the bottom of your fork on the side of the bowl and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- Optional: When chocolate bars are set, reheat the remaining chocolate in the microwave using the previous method and drizzle on top. Enjoy!
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Be the first to comment.